En-en adult card 7 co2 emissions
Card #7: CO2 emissions
CO2, or carbon dioxide, is the main anthropogenic (produced by human activities) greenhouse gas in terms of emissions. These emissions come from our use of fossil fuels and from deforestation.
- Fossil fuels Coal, oil and natural gas emit CO2 during combustion.
- Deforestation emits CO2 because a large proportion of deforestation caused by man is achieved by burning the forests.
- Concentration of CO2 The correct link is via the carbon sinks card.
- Ocean acidification The correct link is via the carbon sinks card.
Current energy mix
The global energy mix is 85% dependent on fossil fuels and today renewable energy sources tend to add capacity rather than replace fossil fuels.
In France in 2018, the final energy consumption (at consumer level) split by primary energy source was as follows:
- Fossil fuels: 67.4% (coal 1.9%, oil 44.0%, natural gas 21.5%)
- nuclear: 17.7%
- renewables: 14.9% (biomass-waste 9.8%, hydropower 3.0%, wind 1.2%, solar 0.5% (mainly photovoltaic), other 0.3%).